We are headed to Bicester this week for the opening of the India Concept store opening. I have had an infatuation with Asian culture ever since growing up in my neighbourhood in Queens, New York. In my old neighbourhood, all my neighbours were from different places in Asia and the world.
We all had a grandmother too, so our afternoons were filled with stories from the old countries and I was fortunate to taste the food from all these regions at an early age.
Bicester Village Celebrating India Concept Store
The reason why I am so excited to partake in the fun this week at the ALL THINGS INDIA AT BICESTER VILLAGE launch. A unique concept store highlighting the best of India’s contemporary design. concept store home from the 17 to 29 May.
“We are thrilled to be welcoming a new wave of India’s creative talents to Bicester Village to commence the launch of our summer campaign ‘All Things India’. Collectively the designers showcased at the Celebrating India concept store are leading the charge and affirming India’s position on the international design agenda and, what more vibrant a highlight could we wish for than these six magnificent elephant sculptures honouring one of the natures’ most celebrated icons…
Celebrating India Concept Pop Up Store
The Bicester Village Shopping Collection is proud to partner with Elephant Family in support of its valuable work in protecting these endangered creatures.” – Desirée Bollier, Chair and Chief Merchant, Value Retail Management, operator of The Bicester Village Shopping Collection
This summer Bicester Village will showcase some of the most exciting talent coming out of India today as the country’s magical spirit and exotic charms sweep through the Village in a colourful celebration of All Things India. At the Asian Bridal Show, I started to see what it means to be Asian in the UK, and the bridal game here for Asians is a whole new ball game.
The Designers at Celebrating India
The Celebrating India concept store has been created to showcase the exciting new voices coming out of India today as well as celebrating established talents, curated by fashion connoisseur, businesswoman, and art purveyor Roohi Jaikishan and fashion editor Sujata Assomull. The unique concept store will welcome brands such as Manish Arora, Pippa Small, Beulah, Behno, Huemn, Dhruv Kapoor, Kanika Goyal Label, Kashmir Loom, Khosla Jani, SZ Blockprints, Tada & Toy, Tiipoi and more. We have attended the Manish Arora show in Paris for years and happy to see the designer as a leader in the flourishing Asian invasion.
- Beluah – with an ethical ethos at the forefront of this luxury womenswear brand, its timeless feminine designs feature beautiful hand embroidery, sand-washed silks and screen printing. Through the development of ancient craft and economic independence, Beluah continues its mission to create a positive impact on the lives of the women behind its beautiful collections.
- Manish Arora – one of the most celebrated and inspiring contemporary Indian designers and one of the Businesses of Fashion 500. Known for his craftsmanship, playful colour combinations and trademark palette of pink and gold, his eye-catching designs are not to be missed.
- Behno – ‘Behno’ means ‘sisters’ in Hindi, which is how the female designers working for Behno are referred to. This globetrotting accessory hero offers modern silhouettes and its instantly-recognisable INA leather mini crossbody from £180. Choose from a palette of summer pastels, pink, saffron, sky blue or yellow.
- Pippa Small – Discover the eponymous collection from sustainable jewellery designer Pippa Small, who’s known for her globetrotting adventures, artisan style and ethically sourced materials. Explore the beautiful collection of vibrant gemstones and delicate detailing of this handcrafted jewellery.
- Tiipoi – Splitting her time between her design studios in Bangalore and London, Spandana Gopal creates beautiful minimalist interior accessories. Inspired by stories of modern India with touches of brass, copper and wood throughout, Tiipoi’s unique home accessories add the perfect finishing touch to any interior. Discover hand-woven rugs from £100 and quilted pattern cushions from £30.
- Kanika Goyal – With its roots firmly in quality craftsmanship and refined tailoring, Kanika has established her brand as the go-to for millennials seeking chic pared-back style. Featuring bold patterns and provocative designs, her unique pieces are perfect for making a style statement.
- SZ Blockprints – Seeking a modern reimagining of traditional patterns, SZ Blockprints partners with a multigenerational family printing studio based in Jaipur. Using one of India’s oldest printing techniques, each piece is lovingly handmade, making them truly unique.
- Huemn – Former winners of the Indian Vogue Fashion Fund, designers Shyma Shetty and Pranav Mishra are the cool duo behind a unique collection of handcrafted, genderless garments. Discover oversized t-shirts, beautiful silk pieces, and denim staples.
“As someone who grew up in England, the heritage of Indian fashion always intrigued me. It was only after moving there that I realised there was such a cool factor to contemporary Indian fashion. It stays true to its roots yet is very trend and style driven. The fact that Bicester Village – a place where many Indians come to shop – is now celebrating contemporary Indian fashion, really is taking the story full circle. The Indian labels that Bicester Village is bringing to the Celebrating India boutique seamlessly work with international brands. I have really enjoyed helping put together the list of ‘Made in India’ fashion brands” Sujata Assomull.
Make sure you check our Instagram for all the latest stories while we enjoy a day of culture and shopping. Which designer should interview? Who would you like to hear from?