A common saying is that you need to be drinking around 8 glasses of water on a daily basis. The manner by which you drink water ceases to be a lot individualized that you can imagine. Medical experts point to the fact that men should be drinking 104 ounces of water on a daily basis that works to be around 13 cups. In the case of women it needs to be 72 ounces that would be 9 cups. Even when you are taking the gender into account, still you are not sure what is the exact amount of water you need to be drinking on a daily basis.
Recommendations of water
To make a good start drinking 8 glasses of water would suffice, but this is not based on solid and research prone information. The body is incorporated of 60 % water and each and every system in human body needs water to function properly. An ideal intake of water is influenced by factors like age, sex, the kind of physical activity you are into and if you happen to be breastfeeding or even pregnant.
The reasons why you need water
Water is of vital importance as a lot of process tends to take place in your body throughout the day. The moment you drink water you refresh your stores. Once there is not enough water the body functions along with organs are not in a position to function properly. Some of the benefits of water include
- Cushioning and even lubricating the joints
- The body temperature is kept within a normal range
- The spine along with other tissues are protected
- The waste is eliminated through urine, bowel movements and sweat
Once you drink sufficient amount of water it would make you look the best. For example drinking ample water ensures your skin is healthy as skin works out to be the largest organ of the human body. The moment you drink plenty of water the skin is hydrated and healthy. As water is known to contain zero calories it can be an excellent tool for keeping your weight in control.
Risks in consumption of too much or too little water
Even when you consume too much or too less of water there are some viable risks.
The body is constantly loosing fluids by a series of activities like urinating and sweating. Dehydration is a situation that occurs when the body is taking in less fluid in comparison to the water it loses. There are various symptoms of dehydration that can be range from fatigue to being extremely thirsty. It is also possible that your urine may be dark or you might not even be urinating regularly.
There are other issues of dehydration like unclear thinking or mood changes. If the levels of dehydration are mild you can compensate it by drinking water along with other fluids. But if the case is severe then you might need a treatment at the hospital. The doctor is going to provide you with salts and even fluids till the symptoms are going to fade away.
Once you drink a lot of water it could pose a lot of danger to your heath even. Once you go on to drink a lot of water the electrolytes present in your blood can be diluted. The levels of sodium tend to decrease as this can lead to this disorder.
This is a form of disorder that is pretty common. People who are of a small build and kids are prone to this type of disorder. Even in active sports for people who drink a lot of water at a time. In case if you are guilty of drinking a large amount of water before you exercise, opt for a sports drink which is a combination of sodium along with other electrolytes that replenishes it when you end up sweating.
Tips on how to drink water
Ideally you would be more than able to make up your daily needs by drinking water along with your meals. In case if you would need some extra help when you are drinking water then you need to consider the following pointers
- Wherever you are going carry a water bottle along with you. Be it at work, office or a gym a water bottle needs to be with you at all times
- The onus has to be on fluids. In order to cope up with your hydration needs plain water would suffice. There are some other sources of water in the form of coffee, tea or sugar drinks etc.
- Stay away from sugar prone drinks. Yes you might obtain fluid from alcohol or juice, but they do come at the cost of extra calories. In any case most of these beverages have high water content as it is necessary to choose water at all times
- When you are out to eat drink water. Rather than ordering any other beverage drinks a glass of water. Yes it is possible to save on the cash front and save on the calories front as well.
- If plain water does not appeal to you, then you add a tinge of flair by squeezing lemon or lime juice.
- In case if you are happening to work hard, always opt for a sports drink that is loaded with electrolytes that helps to replenish it once you are sweating. In fact a balance needs to be achieved by the amount of sweat you gain and lose.
To be hydrated is more than the water you end up drinking. Every day food would make up around 15 to 20 % of your daily fluid requirements. It is not only about drinking 9 to 13 cups of water on a daily basis, but you should increase the consumption of fresh fruits along with vegetables. The foods that are rich in water content are cucumber, watermelon, berries, cauliflower etc. Even installation of an under sink water purifier to provide safe drinking water to your home can be explored.